The 3 things that could turn your health around
Theresa Albert, Toronto Star
If there were three simple things that you could do every day that would virtually turn your health around, would you do them? What if all three were easy to do, did not take any time and cost you exactly nothing?
Any one of these habits will help you live healthier and longer and take years off the appearance of aging skin. Together they are the secret to transforming your inner universe. Are you ready? Of course you are!
Life Altering Tip #1: Add half a cup of beans to your diet each day.
There is now sound evidence that it takes one small serving to make a world of difference in your cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease. Beans and pulses can come in any form and need no longer be the overnight-soaking-pain-in-the-pants they used to be. Here are some ways to work beans in:
- Serve hummus (made from chick peas) as a dip for an afternoon snack. Hummus comes in a variety of flavors so you will never get bored. Add a tablespoon to every wrap and sandwich instead of mayo.
- Add drained, rinsed canned beans to any pasta dish. White navy beans and lentils work best.
- Make a crockpot full of lentil or minestrone soup weekly and store in the freezer in single servings for lunches or appetizers
- Top salads with canned kidney beans or chick peas.
- Look for bean-based veggie burgers instead of beef burgers
- Snack on roasted soybeans instead of nuts or popcorn
Life Altering Tip #2: Remove liquid calories
The brain does not process liquid calories the same way it processes calories that must be chewed. When you chew, your human internal food mechanism indicates satiety, when you sip...nada. If you added up all the useless calories that come by way of cream and sugar in your coffee, sodas, alcohol and even juices, you would likely find 300 calories each day that you could do without. And don’t go switching to aspartame-laden beverages; they are even worse! Try this juice substitute instead.