About PAL Canada®
PAL Canada® is the national umbrella organization, linking the seven (at present) PAL Chapters in Halifax, Toronto, Stratford, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Membership in PAL implies a commitment to PAL’s mandate, which is to provide assistance to older, disabled or needy members and associates of Canada’s Performing Arts Community, in the areas of health, well-being and affordable accommodation.
Each Chapter is autonomous and is represented on the Board of PAL Canada®. Membership in a Chapter automatically includes membership in PAL Canada®.
At the national level, PAL Canada® promotes the goals of the whole organization by:
- providing resources and networks for communication between the Chapters:
- representing PAL members and Chapters to other national organizations and on issues of broad national concern.
- offering a national identity to the Chapters through the provision of trademarked/registered symbols and phrases.
- encouraging the maintenance of high standards for the provision of affordable housing
- for its members through award winning residences in Toronto and Vancouver.
- assisting in the development of new Chapters.
- providing access to national sources of funding which can be of benefit to the Chapters and their membership.
PAL CANADA led the way in planning and developing affordable housing for our unique community. It has, over the last twenty years, garnered credibility and established a national reputation. It pioneered a volunteer assistance program called Supporting Cast (“PAL’s Angels” in Vancouver) which provides companionship, personal care and health assistance to individual colleagues. Establishing a “Supporting Cast” type of organization is usually the first step in founding a PAL Chapter and exemplifies, in practical terms, the PAL motto: “Caring for our Own”..